Thursday, February 1, 2007

Movie Lines

You know some movies you grew up watching - over and over, in my case - that have lines that you learn to appreciate when you get a little older?

I suppose it would be better for life experiences to remind you of an ayah rather than an actor but hey, we Amreekan Muslims - actually most Muslims today - are educated backwards - we do all the secular stuff first and then maybe try to understand the Qur'an, instead of learning the Qur'an first so that the rest of your secular education can be Qur'anicized. But I digress.

The movie line that keeps crossing my mind is from the Karate Kid, when Mr. Miyagi teaches Daniel-san that "Whole life have balance," and "This not just karate lesson. Lesson for whole life." When I was a kid watching this I couldn't appreciate the meaning of the word "balance." But now, I got a legal practice, a bivi, and a baccha. I try to work out semi-regularly to get more energy so I can do more in less time, but that causes friction with family time, and last night I went home to eat dinner and then went out again around 9:30 to work out and oddly enough I decided I needed to stop by my office and before I knew it it was about 1:15 am. Last week I worked till 11 pm two nights and 10 pm another night, and really haven't been home before 8:30/9 in over a month.

So last night as I sat staring at a writ of mandamus I intend to file - (suing the government is so much fun, and a great activity in the wee hours of the morning!) - of all things to come cruising out of my mind - I see Mr. Miyagi instructing Daniel-san who is trying to keep his balance standing on a rowboat's stern doing kata - that "Whole life have balance."

I get it now.

4 comments:

Ayesha said...

if you wax on, you must eventually wax off!!!

speakng of movies with lines that come backto you, have you seen that recent commercial with christopher lloyd running between the burning tracks saying great scott!!! ??

Noor said...

Wow! That is deep and insightful and very true. We all try (IA) to find a balance in life. When you get married, you try to balance marriage with being single and all that entails. When you have one kid, you try to balance being a parent with being a spouse. When you have two...you try to be fair to each child, give them ample time and remember that you are a spouse. It is hard to do, if it is ever really done. I am still trying to figure out how to do all of it (Oh and I didn't even mention working or working out in all of that).
I don't see how our parents did it (MA) thankfully they did. And it is sad that we feel the guilt that we cannot seem to do it all. But here is the thing...life is so much faster than it use to be. Our posture is bowed by 5 electronic devices we have strapped to our pants. Kids have 3 activities each each evening and because we drive more and walk less, we have to make time to work out. Then there is cooking (cause it seems the day extends into our home life and we have no tome to stop to eat)...see where I am going with this...so what I am saying is...we should not be so hard on oursleves. Take one day at a time. WE are not perfect, life is not perfect and it does not fall in line the way it use to. Do what you can everyday to make those around you happy, without sacrificing yourself! That is the true goal in life. Can you go to sleep with a smile? Can you smile at your child and have them IA smile back? And can you smile at your spouse at least once per day and thing great thoughts? Then you are doing just fine! 8-)

Ayesha said...

nura, the problem is, when hassan smiles, it's usually because he's just farted or he's got a stupid joke up his sleeve :) okaaay maybe not with issa!

Anonymous said...

Good words.