Saturday, April 14, 2007

لاہور لاہور ہے

LAHORE, Va.

A Pakistani entrepreneur wants to transform a backwater town in central Virginia into a desi tourist draw, recreating Lahore. Lahore, Virginia. It sounds so weird on the tongue. Lahore, Virginia. Try to say it Punjabi style.....L'haaaaaaawr, Var-jeeee-niya. It gives new meaning to "لاہور لاہور ہے"

But if he pulls it off...I mean, whoever named that town, whoever that random store owner was....of all the cities in the world he could have picked to name his small Southern farming community...it couldn't be more perfect. Lahore is such a romantic city, ancient, full of history, charm...it is the undisputed cultural capital of Pakistan, and in many ways, all of South Asia. It holds a draw even to ABCD's like me (by the way, that stands for Amreeeeekan Born Cultured Desi" when applied to me) who've never lived there.

If he makes Lahore, Virginia into what he says, I mean, I will be there.

Where else could I get ras malai with my sweet tea?

2 comments:

Ayesha said...

No, Lahore is Lahore as they call it and no other 'lahore' can be like that no what ever place it may come into existance but it will be fun. Incidentally this is Ayesha's abbu. She is away with ammi and Musa for shopping and lights keep coming ang going although weather is OK today here. Dont know, may be delayed effect?

Anonymous said...

I was wondering why ayesha was being so patriotic about Lahore :)

Lahore is indeed Lahore but we could use a few more ...